1) The Administrative Assistant receives and screens visitors and telephone calls.
2) Takes messages or refers the caller to the appropriate person.
3) Opens, sorts, and screens mail and attaches pertinent back up materials.
4) He or She may type a wide variety of drafts and finished documents, including confidential materials from taped dictation, brief instructions, or written materials.
5) Organizes and maintains various departmental files and records.
6) Oversees compilation, reproduction and distribution of various documents and reports, such as case and accident reports.
7) The Administrative Assistant also monitors and orders office supplies and performs a variety of administrative tasks specific to the needs of the Chief of Police.